Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Weird phobias to go along with quirks.

I think something that goes along well with weird quirks and such are phobias. Everyone has them, and not just the traditional "fear of spiders" thing, but something specific to that one person (like how some people have a fear of bandages or olives). It would be cool for people to post those here and help give the characters some sort of weird phobia to go along with their quirks to give them more personality.

I have two that I can really think of right now. The first one is my absolute worst phobia that I'll never get over. The second is mild, but still there.

1. Centipedes- I can't stand them. They come in all sizes and colors. They also scare the hell out of me and will never cease to. My worst fear/fantasy is that I'll wake up and centipedes will be covering my walls and floor. Millipedes and silverfish too. I don't know why either. I know the way they move has something to do with it but..... oh well.

2. Licking Envelopes- This one's not really too bad, but it really lingers there when I'm licking envelopes (which is one of the lowly jobs that library paiges usually get stuck with). Remember those news stories you hear every once in a while about envelope horrors (like that one in particular where the woman cut her tongue when performing said task and unknowingly got roach eggs in the cut. Tongue sealed up, then swelled up. In the emergency room, they opened her tongue up to reveal roach larvae) shudder. I just think about it and get really paranoid about it whenever I have to do this.

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I think that the one thing that I really fear is pain, physical pain. Mainly because it's just not that fun.

3:34 PM  
Blogger Ty said...

Kristin- Why helium balloons?

And yeah, I get squemish sometimes about that stuff. I don't know what will make me squemish, but I think it's the verbal descriptions of physically bad things for me mostly (probably lots of people, too).

For anyone who's read anything by Chuck Palahniuk, you'll know what I mean when I say that there's just some stuff that he's written that I can't read. I also listened to a guy speak once about crucifixtion and what sort of things they would do to people who got crucified. Like you said, no pictures, just really in-depth descriptions of unpleasantries.

10:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Madeline! Madeline who? Madeline Bray?

5:17 PM  
Blogger Joy said...

katy, i get that feeling on the el a lot. especially on the red line during rush hour. even worse when it smells like urine (which is sadly quite often).

i am afraid of bridges. especially driving over them at night when i can't see the water. i think this all goes back to a nightmare i had when i was 8 that my family crashed over the edge of the bridge and we were sinking in the car and couldn't get out.

i'm also afraid of silverfish. they make me squeemish x 10. once i was washing my face and one came out of the drain... i almost splashed it on myself with the water but opened my eyes just in time to SCREAM! i immediately called maintenance.

i'm also afraid of mice. especially when there's a slowly dying, sadly screeching one on a glue trap (cruel sinful things) and my rommate has left the apartment and me to take care of it myself. again, i called maintenance. maintenance loves me. i did not love my roommate.

1:20 AM  
Blogger Dani said...

The only inexplicable phobia I have (that I can think of now) is my fear of telephones. It's not that I just don't like telephones ,I honestly have some sort of crazy phobia. Seriously just talking about it now, my stomach is churning. I only use the phone when it's something very important and when I go to make a call, I wait until I'm alone in the room and I sit on the floor by the phone until I have braced myself. By the time I actually work myself up to calling, I am literaly shaking and my heart beats abnormaly fast. If you've noticed if I've ever talked to you on the phone, I stutter a lot too. And phone messages, oh man, they ruin my life. I learn to grin and bare it because in this day and age it's kinda hard to live without telephones. The worst part is, even after the call has ended it takes awhile to settle down again and I have to hide the fact that I'm still kinda shaking a bit. I get a lot of anxiety but nothing else so abnormal as this, everything else usually makes some sort of sence. As far as bugs and snakes or rodents. I'm not affected by them really.

9:21 PM  
Blogger Marnie said...

I always roll my eyes when people tell me my house is "old and creepy," but at night when I have to go into my basement or attic, I am petrified. It is dark, there are no reachable light switches, and the house makes loud "settling noises" like creaks and radiator bangs. (I can't imagine why we've never had a cast party here...) In all seriousness, if the need to go upstairs or downstairs isn't terribly dire, I put it off till morning. Either that or run my arse off.

8:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home